Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Exercise Four- Nicole

An object I love is my Macbook. Its appearance alone is cool and sleek but I love much more than that. Even though it is a couple of years old I do not have one single complaint about my Macbook.

One of the affordances that is small but I absolutely love is the magnetized charge cord. This kind of cord is very easy to plug and unplug without damage and it is also very easy to use in low light or small spaces as you don't have to fiddle with the cord it just sticks right on. I also like the visibility of the light on the actual cord that shows the status of the computer's energy level.

Another affordance that the Macbook uses really well is the built in mouse. Not only is the mouse responsive and the buttons simple, but the greatest affordance is the ability to scroll with two fingers. The Macbook recognizes when two or more fingers are on the pad and scroll up and down, its simple and it works. (The only problem in my eyes being the ctrl click substitute for a left clicking button which can sometimes get annoying).

The last thing that I love about my Macbook is its mapping out of its interface. Even though PC lovers might argue I think the layout of the Macbook's interface is easy to use and makes sense. The dock at the bottom has everything essential and doesn't clog up the main screen. In fact, the only icon on my computer that is most important is the Macintosh HD icon which is on the desktop and leads to everything with one click. The top right corner displays everything useful such as my internet status, volume, time and power left and is much better to see then the traditional bottom right corner of a PC.

One object I can not stand is my HP F4280 series scanner, copier and printer. I have had it for only a few months when I started my first semester at OCAD, from the first day on it has been nothing but problematic.

The biggest problem with the printer is the way in which the paper is fed through the printer. The physical constraints that hold the paper in place slide too easily so that when the paper is pulled through the printer it gets pushed around and it jams about seventy five percent of the time that I use it.

Another huge problem with the printer is the visibility of the of the "ink indicator" on the top of the printer. While the idea of letting you know how much ink is left in your computer is a great idea the indicator is always wrong. Many times when the printer shows I am low on ink I can print for months before I need to change the cartridge. On the opposite, the printer will say that I have at least half of a cartridge left and then my computer prints out grainy crappy pictures. The worst is that the light in the indicator does not have any physical constraints so it lights up the entire bar but it just slowly fades in colour making it extremely confusing to read and understand.

The last thing is, (and its mostly just a pet peeve of mine) when I put a new cartridge in my printer it prints off a page automatically of strange dots and instructions that tell you to put this sheet in the scanner area to align the cartridges. This annoys me a lot because it takes an incredible amount of ink to print it. It would have been a good idea to put a permanent copy of this sheet along with the printer when sold, and if it gets lost you have the ability to re-print it!

No comments:

Post a Comment