Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Exercise 4- Love and Hate by Tarz Sachdeva

An object that I absolutely love is my Earring/Ring Holder. Well I loved it till now because it keeps all my earrings organized so that I don't spend hours looking for a pair when I need one. But now after analyzing it for this assignment I love it for its perfect design aspects too.

The Affordances are evident upon first look. The protruding curled hooks clearly indicate to hang the earrings in order to hold them in safe place. Also the hook has the perfect circumference so that the earring fits in easily and also that it does not fall out.

The Mapping is well thought out so that every pair has its own space. When I take out a pair, the pairs next to it are not bothered at all. So this way i am sure that if i am pulling out an earring, I will only end up with the pair in my hand that I want not other 10 entangled with it. Also the options of the object clearly Visible. There are hooks at the top to hold my earrings and cushioned sections in the bottom to hold my rings. There's nothing to be confused about, therefore it is a success both design and usability aspects.

An object that I hate is my Floor Lamp which is sleek in design and looks but when it comes to interacting with it, it is a complete disaster. It is a touch lamp so one would think that you just need to tap it to turn it on. But as it turns out that after all the Mapping is not so well thought out. In order to turn it on I have to tap it twice and then to change it's light intensity, just tap it once. Well how was I supposed to know that until I actually experimented with it? Above that the touch sensitivity is so low that a slight touch changes the intensity, so I end up spending 5 minutes just to set the light intensity light.

I understand that it is a touch lamp but who says that means that you are allowed to touch anywhere. Instead why not just make it one spot that is clearly Visible and states "TOUCH HERE". This way I would not have to harass the lamp. Also if only there was a switch or knob to change the intensity of light that could serve as a Constraint, then life would be so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment